Back in the Dark Ages, I created what I thought were common sense rules about blogging. Phillip Lessen does a much better job and serious bloggers should tattoo his rules on their foreheads. To summarize:
- Use descriptive headlines.
- Write in an inverted pyramid style.
- The first link should be the main link.
- Re-introduce core ideas in longer posts.
- Use lists, images, tables, etc. to make your entries easier to read.
- Write for a global audience.
- Credit your sources with a mention and link.
- Mark updates and changes.
- Spellcheck your posts and read them for clarity.
- To practically all of these rules there are exceptions.
- You are responsible for what you write…forever.
- Write about people as if you were talking to their face.
- Never write about your stupid boss.
- Identify your sources of information.
Mr. Lessen’s article found via the Horse Power blog. Thanks, dude!